Monday, March 17, 2008

A Letter to Superintendent Murhpy

March 17, 2008

Robert F. Murphy, Jr., Superintendent
Massachusetts Treatment Center
Bridgewater MA 02324

Dear Superintendent Murphy:

From June of 1999 through June of 2006, when Judge Francis Fecteau threw out his conviction, I was a regular visitor of Bernard Baran. During those seven years, his supporters and I often sent him books using Amazon.com.

During that time I also began corresponding with some of Baran’s friends, including XXXXX XXXXXXXX. I still correspond with XXXXX and accept his phone calls. About a month ago, I sent XXXXX three books via Amazon.

One he particularly appreciated was Painless Grammar, by Dr. Rebecca Elliot. (The Painless series was developed for use in high schools.) This book came with a brochure that described some of the other books in the series. I asked XXXXX to let me know which interested him.

On March 2nd, I ordered three more books from Amazon for XXXXX: Painless Poetry, Painless Reading Comprehension, and Painless Writing.

Last Friday, XXXXX called me to tell me that the Treatment Center had declared these books contraband. XXXXX was given the choice of having the books destroyed or paying 12 to 15 dollars to have then shipped out. Since XXXXX couldn’t afford the postage, the books were destroyed.

I asked XXXXX to send me the contraband slip so that I could try to figure out what had gone wrong. I enclose a copy. It is unsigned and undated. The only explanation given was “Book (2) not authr. DOC.” So I have no idea what rule I might have violated.

Since I have little income besides my social security, I can offer XXXXX no financial help. I am, however, happy to help him improve and educate himself. But I can’t afford to buy books for him that the Treatment Center is going to destroy. The destroyed books cost me $32.86. I don’t expect to be compensated. But I would like to send XXXXX books in the future and not have to worry about their being destroyed.

I certainly don’t want to violate your rules. I just want to know what they are. I look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,

Robert B. Chatelle

CC: Commissioner Harold W. Clarke, Senator Patricia Jehlen, Representative Byron Rushing

2 comments:

no-peace-for-tyrants said...

One can safely surmise that when a book so innocuous as a grammar book is kept from the possession of a prisoner, the only purpose can be to deprive that prisoner of the knowledge, entertainment or self-enhancement that a book can offer. What further proof could be required that the petty, the vindictive and the eternally insecure are firmly in control (such as it is) of the penal system. Every member of this society ultimately suffers the consequences of that.

Unknown said...

Bob:
Good job on the letter. You gave them all the facts and then you cc'd it to other officials. I couldn't offer any better advice.
Paul